Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Journal

According to my cognitive therapist, I'm supposed to be keeping a journal of what I do every day. This is supposed to help with my short-term memory. So, a list of my trips to the grocery store and drug store is what I've come to. My how the mighty have fallen - or maybe I overestimate how interesting I was before the accident. . . Anyway, my first cognitive therapy appointment is Thursday. I'm interested to see what sorts of drills she has to help me with my memory and attention span. I have to say, I really do feel better every day, but the short-term memory is still deficient. I went to Walgreens with Katy yesterday and came out with no idea where the car was. I can see how this would be a problem if I were to drive myself. It's also hard for me to gauge for myself whether I seem "normal." I feel pretty weird, so I wonder if I come across that way. My friend Kim assures me I don't, but she's my friend and is supposed to tell me that.

Well, Katy is here to take me on my big outing for the day - to my office to say hi to my co-workers. I'm also going to treat myself to a new pair of Pumas for my birthday, which is Saturday. Technically, I think I treated myself to a Life-Flight ride for my birthday present, but I don't remember it, so I don't think it counts.

1 comment:

  1. Peggy -
    I love reading everything you and your mom have written. When my mom had her brain tumor removed three years ago, I did alot of journaling for her so one day she could look back and read everything that was going on. It is a very long process and you have to be patient. Encouragement from others is a big key. I spent many hours and days encouraging mom because it was so unreal to her how long recovery takes. Today she is doing amazing and I wish she would consider going and sharing her story with others. The more you put into your recovery with all your therapist the better you will heal and retain everything. DO not short circuit any step. As mom can tell you, she has witnessed others who gave up and struggle with retaining memory.
    The brain is so unique, and the way it heals is amazing!!
    I hope you have a Blessed Birthday this weekend! I am praying for all of you. I love you girl and I miss you!!
    Take care of yourself seriously-
    If I lived closer I'd be there in a heart beat to help you out and keep you company.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete