Sunday, September 20, 2009

Of Post-its and Birthdays

I'm watching the Cowboys lose right now. I recorded it and am just starting the third quarter, so I'm hoping they make a comeback. All I have to say is that I'm glad our defense is good, because our offense is sucking it up. But my report on Cowboys football isn't why you're here, is it? I think this blog is to keep you all posted on how I'm doing. So, how I'm doing is . . . ok. My headache is back, which shouldn't surprise me, I suppose. I can't quite get rid of it, despite regular doses of ibuprofen and tylenol. I'm also still having memory issues. For example, I talked to E on the phone today and took his order for Burgerville. When I hung up, all I could remember was that he wanted a cheeseburger, even though I knew he'd asked for something else, too. I know that doesn't sound very unusual - I mean, I lost my car all. the. time. before this. The thing that's different is that there's just a blank space in my memory. I can't re-create the conversation or parking or whatever - I just don't remember it. It's very weird, and a little freaky. My doctor and cognitive therapist are very encouraging, but I can't help worrying that maybe my memory is broken forever. I know it's only been three weeks (almost four), and I know I'm so much better. I know that, but I still worry some. I think I may need to have my secretary ship me some sticky notes from the office so that I can plaster them all over the place. (Or I could just buy some sticky notes, but let's not get crazy here.)

As for everything else, it's good. Elijah is settling in remarkably well. He had a quarter-midget race this weekend, and did pretty well. He and his dad absolutely love race weekends and hanging out at the track. He's also decided he likes school. He's really amazing and has adapted to all these changes - new teacher, grandparents dropping him off, being shuffled around quite a bit - with incredible grace. I do love that kid. We also went to dinner tonight with our good friends BG and Courtenay. It was a belated birthday celebration and was very fun. We picked an upscale, quiet restaurant (my favorite one in Portland, actually), and it felt really normal and great. Plus, they got me a card that says, "Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fabulous is forever." Hilarious. I couldn't believe it was an off-the-shelf card - how did Hallmark know?

So, despite my few lingering paranoid worries, life is overall good. If only the Cowboys would win . . .

1 comment: